Dos and don`ts for sperm health
- Keep your mobile away from your testicles. Don`t carry it in your pant pockets. Heat and radiations emitted from it may cause DNA damage to your sperms. Same is the case with laptop. Don`t work on it while keeping it in lap, keep it on a table instead.
- Don`t wear tight undergarments or jeans. These will raise the scrotum near to abdomen and increase the temperature that is harmful for sperms.
- Take at least 7-8 hours of good sleep. It reduces the stress level and hence improve sperm health.
- Too much of sugar consumption can lead to insulin resistance resulting inflammation and ultimately lowers mobility of the sperms.
- Habitual drunkards are at more risk for lower testosterone levels, lower sperm counts and smaller numbers of healthy sperms. So don`t be a regular drinker.
- Practice yoga and prayanaam regularly. It release happy hormones and boost sperm count.
Foods that enhance sperm count :
- Dark chocolate : It contains L- arginine that improves sperm volume and quality as well.
- Eggs : These are rich in protein and Vit E that prevent sperms from oxidative stress.
- Bananas : Bromelain present in bananas increase male libido. These are also enriched with Vit B that helps to raise stamina.
- Spinach : Green leafy vegetables are rich sources of folate that helps normal morphology of sperms to increase and hence improves increased rates of fertilization.
- Garlic : Allicin present in garlic is a very good aphrodisiac and a well known anti oxidant too, thus helps increased sperm production.
- Carrots : Vit A present in carrots helps to increase sperm production and sperm motility
- Walnuts : These contain Omega – 3 fatty acids. These are supposed to increase sperm count as well as improve blood to the penis.
- Pumpkin Seeds : Phytosterols present in pumpkin seeds improve testosterone levels thus improve semen volume and sperm count as well.
- Ginseng : It’s a powerful herb that increase sex drive and its quite effective in men with erectile dysfunctions.
- Fenugreek : It increases testosterone levels, improves libido and sexual performance.
- Broccoli : Rich in Vit A, broccoli helps increasing sperm count and quality.
- Zinc Supplement : It Increases testosterone levels, sperm count and sperm motility. Deficiency of zinc may lead to erectile dysfunction also.
- Sunshine Vitamin : “Vit D” is having a very important role in proper physiology of reproductive system. Low levels of Vit D can cause infertility in males and females both. So try to get an early morning sunbath along with food rich in Vit D such as cheese, egg yolks, salmon and mushrooms.
To have a child is a dream of every married couple. Male and female partners are equally responsible to make this dream true. But now a days parenthood is not an easy destination to reach at infertility is a wide spread problem and about one in five infertile couples the problem lies in male partner.
Male fertility is caused by some problems that either affect sperm quantity, quality or any problem in transport. Increased stress, altered food habits, pollutants present in atmosphere, oxidative stress are some of the factors that are worsening the condition.
Talking to your doctor, taking proper medication and relieving stress can lead to a solution to this problem. Here are some suggestions to follow that can help the patients overcome the stress.